PHONE   0451 797 284
Facebook Twitter
Post School Options

The transition from school to adult life can include further study, employment, volunteer work, training or a combination of these.

There is a range of community and specialist supports available to help young people with a disability to find work, undertake further study or to participate in community activities once they finish school.

Planning for the transition from school to adult life should focus on your child’s goals and aspirations and be guided by people who have knowledge of your child’s abilities and needs.

There are many examples of adults with PWS working either in regular workplaces or at sheltered workshops. The numbers of graduations from tertiary institutes are less common.

Managed Individualised Pathways (MIP’s)
Managed Individual Pathways (MIP’s) co-ordinators and careers teachers can support students to explore a range of post-school options while they are still at school.

This may include developing a post-school plan to help students identify the things they are good at, interested in, enjoy doing and the supports that might be needed to achieve life goals. Ask your child’s school for more information.

Futures for Young Adults (FFYA) Program
The Futures for Young Adults (FFYA) Program is funded by the Department of Human Services (DHS) and provides information and support to young people with a disability leaving school who need additional transition support. This program is designed to help them transition into a tertiary course, employment or an adult centre. Eligible young people can receive assistance from a transition planner to set goals and develop a Transition Plan. A Safety Net provision allows young people to get advice from a transition planner at any time within a three-year eligibility period until they turn 21.

Tertiary Education
Tertiary education institutions in Victoria have a Disability Liaison Officer or equivalent who can assist students with a disability to choose and complete a course of study.

Transition to Employment Initiative
Assists young people with a disability leaving school who want to get a job but who are not yet ready to move into employment or receive assistance through a Commonwealth employment program. Phone your regional Disability Intake and Response Service on 1800783783 or check details on the DHS website.

National Disability Co-ordination Program
Assists people with a disability to access post-school education, training and employment, information and referral. Phone 133 873,

Broaden Your Horizons Website
Career and transition information and support services for young people with a disability.

Exploring the Possibilities
This booklet provides a guide to transition planning from school to post-school options.

Policy Statement: Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome and Decisions Regarding Least Restrictive Environment and the Right To Eat: This has been formulated by the Prader-Willi Syndrome Association of USA.
Click here

Medical Information for PWS: A list every parent, and their doctor, should have.
USA - click here

Behaviour Management:
This is a terrific 12 page document from the PWSA (UK) -
Click here

Family Care for Prader-Willi Syndrome
An IPWSO project of information sheets designed to support families whose adult son or daughter lives at home.
Click here

A guide for the General Physician (GP) and for parents and care providers of children and adults with Prader-Willi syndrome visiting the GP
click here

DHS Disability Services: Programs, Publications, Useful Services, Links to other Services
Click here

Disability Online: Information for people with a disability, their families and carers
Click here

The PWSA of Victoria Web Site is intended to provide information only - not to diagnose or advocate particular treatment options. The Diagnosis and treatment of Prader-Willi Syndrome should be made through a qualified medical professional. Thus, it is strongly urged that patients do not change treatment without first consulting their doctor. The inclusion of any resource or link in the PWSA of Victoria Web Site does not imply endorsement.